Let's Raid!

Okay, so occasionally I come on here, to this blog on which I randomly post random things about nothing of any real importance, and I post something deep that may or may not change your life.

This is not one of those times.

This is one of those times where I get on to this blog on which I randomly post about things of virtually no importance and wax poetic about a current obsession. Usually, that means Tolkien, but we're in uncharted waters here, boys. And girls. And animals with access to computers.

We all need to sit down and have a very serious discussion about vikings. Not the dumb old football team from Minnesota (sorry, I'm still rather bitter about the whole Brett Favre thing). Not the guys on the Capital One commercials. I'm talkin' about Vikings, the best show on the History Channel. And yes, that's including Pawn Stars.
Source:  History.com

If you have not managed to catch any part of this show, you really should start. It's not for the faint of heart, however. No one is really safe on this show--especially when they start hanging out with the Trio of Doom (that's not their actual name, but honestly, the longer you watch this show, the more you'll come to agree). 

The vikings on this show are based on actual people from history (hence, they're on the History Channel...for a while, I wondered if the programmers forgot what their name meant). The storylines center around Ragnar Lothbrok, a peasant farmer with ambitious dreams, as we see in Season 1. **If you've never watched the show before, there will be some spoilers, but I promise they won't be huge plot points. Actually, I can't make that promise.** The show is currently in its third season, and Ragnar has now become King Ragnar after spending season 2 as Earl Ragnar. He does what needs to be done for his people--he is the first to figure out a way to sail across open water west, he is the first to realize that his people should form alliances with the English rather than raid and destroy (because let's face it, these rough-and-tumble vikings with their axes and shield walls are pretty terrifying). He's pretty much amazing.


Then you have Ragnar's brother, Rollo. I love Rollo. He was kind of a douche in the first episode, but he's come a long way since then. I honestly don't know which brother is older--I feel like it's Rollo because he's huge, but he always defers to Ragnar, so maybe Rags is the big brother. Anyway, Rollo is perhaps the best fighter Ragnar's got. Unlike his brother, his ambitious urges don't always pan out for him. He forms an alliance with Ragnar's enemy at the end of season 1, and at the beginning of season 2, begins to realize what a mistake he's made and works his way back into the fold. Trust me, that's a good thing. I mean, look at the guy. Scary.

We can't forget Floki, who rounds out the Trio of Doom. Floki is an interesting character whom I both love and kind of don't like at all. He's vicious and blood thirsty, but he's loyal to his roots. He follows the gods to a T, and he calls out anyone who isn't doing what is right in Odin's sight. He continues to remain suspicious of the Christians and the English, and has even admitted that he doesn't always agree with Ragnar. So maybe we need him around, 'cuz ol' Rags sometimes makes poor decisions. Let's talk about one right now!

Lagertha. Best. Character. On. Television. Seriously. Lagertha is Ragnar's wife at the beginning of the series. They have two children together, and all she wants is to be a farmer. She is one of the fiercest shield-maidens in Kattegat (and probably everywhere). And when Earl Ragnar strays (his terrible, terrible, terrible decision), she leaves him. She packs up her children and leaves, marries another earl, kills him when he tries to hurt her, becomes an earl herself, and raids England by her former-husband/ally's side. She raises an entire army of shield-maiden warriors, who kick some serious ass, and her son with Ragnar, Bjorn, is perhaps the most tenderhearted viking you ever did see. Not to mention a warrior who makes both parents proud with his ability to draw blood. 

It's very interesting to watch these characters interact with each other. This time period itself could almost be a character rather than a setting. I believe the events taking place are around 790 AD. You've got modernish ways beginning in England and in Kattegat, they're living their pagan lives the way they always have. You do something wrong, there's a price for that. And it's probably bloody. 

I feel like I could go on and on about this show, and I just might. In fact, I might have to start doing show reviews. I think that sounds like fun, since Outlander will be starting again in April, as does season 5 of Game of Thrones. And then you've got TURN and Sleepy Hollow and Forever...oh my gosh, I haven't talked about Forever yet. 

Yep, I've found a new post idea. And I promise, I'll wait a day or two, so you don't have to worry about spoilers. Or just wait and read my thoughts after you've watched the episode. Or don't read my thoughts if you'd rather not. It's always an option, I guess. Not one I want you to choose, of course. Because I might have to send Bjorn after you.
And you'd probably prefer I didn't.

~Stay Gold!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being Kinda "Knotty"

Who do you think you are?

Questions: Round 1