Over the Hills & Everywhere

Today I had the opportunity to hear some local music students play Christmas pieces on the piano. When you really think about it, music is an absolutely amazing creation. By taking a series of random sounds together, you can form a melody, and once that basic melody is complete, you have an infinite number of options for a harmony. You can take a simple song and put it into a minor key, giving it an ominous feel, or jazz it up with some runs and a repeating pattern in the bass. You can syncopate the notes to your choosing, and each time, you create a new piece of music:  a new way of listening to something familiar.

I think that is one of my favorite things about Christmas music. Because Christmas music is so engrained in our holiday traditions and such an important part of the season {in fact, I can think of no other  season where that is quite the same}, every time you turn on the radio, you might hear the exact same songs, but each time, they are different. I know for a fact I have at least 15 versions of Winter Wonderland on my Christmas playlist, but each one is just a little bit different.

At the recital/concert madealio I attended this afternoon, the final performer played an amazing jazz version of Go Tell it on the Mountain, and that got me thinking about my favorite version of that song.
Francesca Battistelli’s arrangement is so laid back. I love the feel that you’re just sitting around the campfire, singing this song under the stars. Perhaps just like the shepherds that night? I hope you enjoy this very cool take on a classic hymn.


~Stay gold!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being Kinda "Knotty"

Who do you think you are?

Questions: Round 1