May your Days be Merry and Bright

I’m feeling the need for a classic today, and as I look out my window, watching the snow drift to the ground, I’m thinking about the one day of the year on which everyone--and I mean everyone--wants snow.

Everybody wants a White Christmas.

Most people associate White Christmas  with the movie of the same name, but the song actually debuted in another Bing Crosby film, Holiday Inn {one of my all-time favorites}. Irving Berlin actually wrote the song for the movie after writing Easter Parade. He was approached to write a song for each holiday of the year, and Berlin thought that his Valentine’s Day song Be Careful, It’s my Heart  would be the most popular.

Did you also know that the song White Christmas, which is full of nostalgia, was released 18 days after the attacks on Pearl Harbor? The version that made the song famous, recorded by Bing Crosby, wore out from overuse. That original version of the song, heard by our troops overseas during World War Two, no longer exists.

And did you know that Christmas was a terribly sad day for Irving Berlin? He would spend the day at his son’s grave, who had died on Christmas Day in 1928 when he was only three weeks old.

My favorite version of this song is the first version heard in Holiday Inn. Bing Crosby’s Jim Hardy is singing it with aspiring talent Linda Mason {Marjorie Reynolds} at his unopened Holiday Inn. They sing it in front of a roaring fire, beside a Christmas tree. Later in the film, when Linda has become famous in Hollywood, Jim recreates the scene for her and reminds her of what she left behind. It’s beautiful. I defy you to think different.

I apologize for the quality of the video, but just enjoy this classic melody and dream of your own White Christmas.


~Stay gold!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being Kinda "Knotty"

Who do you think you are?

Questions: Round 1