Autumnal Ramblings

I've been away from blogging for a while. I've missed it, too. It's amazing how therapeutic writing can be--of course, anyone who keeps a journal knows that (and I'm one of those people, too, so I can say so with confidence). Writing of any kind works wonders for the soul. I haven't written in anything beyond my journal in months. Obviously not here, when my dashboard tells me I haven't posted since August 7. Not in any of my WIPs/novelly-ideas/really-long-short-stories. I need to get back in the habit.

So we're blogging again! And now forgive me for being a total "white girl," but we're blogging about my favorite season...autumn.

I'm going to be a hipster for a moment, because I loved fall before it was cool. No, but seriously. Fall has always been my favorite season, ever since I was a little kid. My birthday is in October, so there's definitely that. I grew up raking leaves into big piles and jumping in them (but without a wet sucker...and if you get it, we're soul mates). I grew up riding in my dad's combine and climbing around in wagons and walking through corn fields, picking up the ears of corn that missed the harvester. My mom has always been a fall/Halloween nut (no better word for it), and our house was decorated in a very festive spirit (not creepy-Halloween, just fun). In fact, as we speak, there is a Halloween Scentsy, six Halloween/fall mugs, and a framed stitched picture of a pumpkin and a ghost to my left, and another Scentsy, two fall prints, two pumpkin candle holders, a wind chime, and a wooden ghost decoration to my right. And I'm just in the kitchen.

So basically, fall is great. And if you don't agree, well, I suppose people are allowed to be wrong. Hee hee. We've had some beautiful fall weather recently--crisp, cool mornings, and just enough sun during the day. The trees are turning, and the leaves that have fallen are getting crunchy...and wonderful. The ones just outside my house are mixed with corn husks, which just adds to the crispy textures and sounds. Every where you look, it seems there are corn stalks and pumpkins and scarecrows. I was driving around Onarga the other day, leaf peeping if you will, and I drove past the cemetery. Not to sound morbid, but Onarga's cemetery really is a beautiful place. Everything is well kept and tended, and the trees that line the street...well, I'll just let the pictures speak for themselves.





This yellow tree is my favorite.

Of course, we could go on and on about the tastes of the season. My current companion is a frosty Sam Adams Octoberfest. Yummers. Add in the pumpkin spice...well, everything anymore! I made pumpkin spice Rice Krispie treats (with pumpkin spice marshmallows) last weekend, and this weekend, I made pumpkin spice scones. Oooohhh sooooo goooood. And these cookies, which I found on Pinterest, are just phenomenal. I'm in charge of school birthday treats for the month of October, and these are definitely making an appearance. I'm convinced that the glaze would be good on anything--cinnamon rolls, cakes, a very large spoon. I'm hoping I linked the recipes correctly. Even if you aren't a pumpkin person, fall is also apple-lover's heaven. Cider, caramelized, baked, crisped, caked...you name it, there's an apple version of it right now.

Now can we talk about the smells? I mean, Yankee Candle has to just clean up during the fall. Of course, so would Door County Candle Company...if they existed outside of their one store in Door County. Seriously better than Yankee. Check out their website. Woody, earthy, spicy scents filled with cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves...intoxicating. Right now I'm burning a Yankee "Autumn in the Park" Candle, have Door County's "Northwoods" in my plug-in Scentsy, and Glade's "Fall Hayride" in my Scentsy at school.

Plus, fall brings with it...football! And my boys seem to be doing alright. I mean, 5-0 is a good record, right? I'm just not sure ;) And I know all you Cubs fans are very excited with the current fall. I'm not a baseball fan, but I'm happy for the Cubs. Go them!

So, if you weren't a fan of fall before, perhaps I've convinced you? If not, I'll take some days off work and try to convince you. All it'll take is a trip six-ish hours north. I'm up for it!

~Stay gold (just like the trees!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being Kinda "Knotty"

Who do you think you are?

Questions: Round 1