Food for Thought

Okay, guys, I’m back. With a brilliant idea. Yeah, that’s right. Get excited.

Now I know what you’re all thinking:  Kaitlin, we know this is your blog and you can do what you want, but you’ve had some “brilliant ideas” before. Remember the whole Valentine’s Day thing where you totally didn’t come through and we were all just sitting here, waiting, and you never posted again after day 1?

Me:  Nope. Don’t remember that.

My readership:  Okay, but what about the time when you said you were going to drink wine and write ranty blog posts? We’re still waiting for another one of those.

Me:  Doesn’t ring a bell…

My readership:  Okay, what about the time you promised to post something non-Jane Austeny/Hobbit-related?

Me:  Now I know you’re just making things up.

Oh, my readership, we’ve had some good times. But I really do have a brilliant idea, and it’s more brilliant than all the others put together. Now, if we see each other in person on a fairly regular basis, then there are certain things you know about me. And one of those things is that I don’t cook. Partly because I don’t want to because I would prefer to be doing just about anything else, partly because I don’t ever have an idea of what I want to cook, and partly because when I do have an idea of something to cook, I don’t have the ingredients, and then I’m just like, “Scrambled eggs sound good.” {Oh, DFH, you are in for a treat, my man!}

If we talk to each other/hang out ever, then you know that I’m all about the Pinterest. Seriously, just wait until I do my post about hand-crafted teachery fashions. It’s coming. I promise… Anyway, I noticed the other day that my Pinterest food board, Food for Thought, has over 300 pins on it {less, now that I made a separate drinks board, Chugalug}. I’ve made maybe four of those recipes. And then I had the brilliant idea:  I should cook my way through my Pinterest board! Like a Julie & Julia kind of thing {loooove that movie, btw}. Now, I need to weed my way through it because there are some things on there that I obviously cannot {or will not} cook. Things like elaborately decorated cakes and “25 Ways to Eat Clean.” Ain’t gonna happen. But there are plenty of things on that board that are totally doable if I think about it in advance and have the supplies on hand.

The other reason I don’t cook is because I usually don’t eat all of it. When I make something like “Pineapple Upside Down Cupcakes,” I usually eat about 1. Aside from soups and other meal-type recipes, I cannot eat it all myself. I don’t have a very big sweet tooth, really. But….guess what this means, coworkers/people on my church committees/other organizations I’m a part of/anyone who lives close to me:  you’re going to be getting a lot of good stuff to eat! At least, I hope it’s good.

But the BEST news is that we are going to start right now! I made these on Thursday when my Cricut decided to be a jerk and shred the freezer paper I was cutting to use as a stencil for a super awesome t-shirt. They are super festive and super-ridiculously easy!

Check out these beautiful LAYERED PEEPS RICE KRISPIE TREATS!

Super cute, right? And oh-so-simple. Here’s what you need:
-4 3oz packages of Peeps in different colors {I used the bunnies, but you can use the chicks, too)
-4 T butter
-6 c Rice Krispies

Here’s what you do:

-Line a baking dish with foil and spray with cooking spray. Normally when I make Rice Krispie treats, I use a 9 x 13 pan, but because you’re layering them, you don’t need one that big. The one I used is the one we make meatloaf in, but you could do it in a loaf pan or maybe a 9 x 9 or 8 x 8 pan.

-In a microwave safe bowl, put in 1 package of Peeps {I started with Purple}. There are 12 bunnies to a package, and I used 11. Put in 1 T of butter, and microwave for 45ish seconds. And watch as the Peeps expand!
The 2 Lone Survivors

-Remove bowl and stir with a rubber spatula {make sure you coat the spatula with cooking spray!}

-Add in 1 ½ c of Rice Krispies and stir into the marshmallow mix.

-Press marshmallow/cereal mix into the bottom of the pan. If you need to, coat your hands with cooking spray and use your fingers.

-Repeat for your other three colors, pressing them on top of the layer you just finished.

And voila! Easter-themed perfection!

I will say, they are sweeter than normal Rice Krispie treats due to the layer of colored sugar on the outside of the Peeps. But still yummy!

Here is the link to the blog post where I got the recipe:  Yellow Bliss Road

So this may be post #1 of Brilliant Idea #287.5, but I think it’s going well. And just wait until we get to the drinks…I may need some testers to come over and try out the Captain Morgan Mermaid Water or the Pink Lemonade Sangria. Yum, yum, yum!


~Stay Gold!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being Kinda "Knotty"

Who do you think you are?

Questions: Round 1