Now We Meet the Mother

It was a fateful Monday in 2005--November 28, to be exact. I was sitting at home with my siblings, flipping through channels. We ended up on channel 3 (CBS), and then I witnessed one of my favorite episodes of television. It was all about a guy named Ted getting incredibly drunk, wanting to see some penguins at the zoo, and his friend Marshall, who kept asking about a pineapple. And I was hooked.

This was The Pineapple Incident, and it began my 7.5 season following of How I Met Your Mother. This show is amazing and has always been amazing and will always be amazing! And, as many people know, we finally got our first glimpse of "The Mother," after eight seasons of clues and hints. The writing on HIMYM is incredible. It is amazing how many times they reference something in, say, the second season, and it finally is manifested in the fifth season. When I go back and rewatch it (p.s., the first seven seasons are available for streaming on Netflix) back to back straight through, it is crazy how many new things I catch. Things they hint at but then don't reference for seven more episodes.

Perhaps the best thing about the show is the characters. Some people hate Ted, but I absolutely love him. He's a hopeless romantic who is telling the story of how he met his wife to his children. It has taken him eight (soon to be nine) years to tell it, and those children in 2030 have heard some incredibly wild stories about their father. But Ted never gives up, even after he dates woman after woman who breaks his heart (or he breaks one of theirs). He tries to be intellectual but is too goofy to take seriously. I love Ted.

And then you have Barney. I mean, come on! Neil Patrick Harris playing a confirmed bachelor and complete womanizer? It's hysterical! From his catchphrases (suit up!) to the many "plays" he performs to pick up women to the fact that he is essentially a child--I can think of few characters on television that are nearly as entertaining.

Marshall and Lily. I once saw picture on the internet that said, "I don't want a romance like Romeo and Juliet. I want a love like Marshall and Lily." They aren't even two separate characters in my opinion. Marshmallow and Lilypad--they are adorable together! Their completely synchronized high-fives, their endearing banter, their Halloween costumes--they just get each other. They are the perfect TV couple, and in all honesty, what every couple should strive to be like. They struggle with changing from the people they once knew to the people they are. They struggle with buying their first apartment and having their first child and the loss of loved ones and not having the job you originally dreamed about. But through it all (minus a six month stint during season 2), they stand by each other.

Then there's Robin. I cannot stand Robin. I go through spurts where I like her (especially as Robin Sparkles, her teen pop star alias), but at the end of the day, I can live without Robin. First of all, you have the fact that she is touted as an exceptional beauty. Meh. Cobie Smulders is pretty, but I wouldn't call her an "exceptional beauty." And yet the number of times they proclaim her as such is much too high. "You aren't wearing makeup? God, you're gorgeous!" And the fact that Ted cannot get over her? In all honesty, Robin is a very flawed character who isn't that loveable, in my humble opinion. I'm sorry if you feel differently, but that's my rant on Robin.

Regardless, I'm excited (and saddened) for the beginning of the ninth--and final--season of HIMYM. I'm sure it will be legen--wait for it, and I hope you're not lactose intolerant because the last half of that word is--dary!

Stay gold :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being Kinda "Knotty"

Who do you think you are?

Questions: Round 1