"Bye, Bye Birdie! I'm gonna miss you so..."

I had to steal a line from Ann-Margret, but her opening track to the 1960s film version of Bye Bye Birdie adequately describes how I feel at the moment. In seventeen days, I will be done performing and rehearsing and singing and dancing.

I don't know what I'm going to do with myself.

I'm already feeling crestfallen about the whole thing (a character in the book I'm reading described herself as such, so I thought I'd steal from her, too). I mean, this has been my life for the past month and a half. I've woken up every morning either excited about rehearsal or unsure what to do because I didn't have rehearsal. I've fallen asleep to the tunes of A Healthy Normal American Boy, Baby Talk to Me, and A Lot of Livin' To Do more times than I can count. I've spent countless hours thinking about scenes and practicing dance moves and singing songs in the shower or car or while washing dishes.

And I've made such great friends! As the eldest member of the "Teen Girl Squad," as we have been nicknamed, I kind of feel like a mama bear to all my teen girl counter parts. We range in age from twelve to twenty-five and are scattered across Iroquois and Ford Counties, but we have formed such a great bond. We tease each other and play with each other's hair...they make me feel young again. And all the boys are such fun, too, as well as the incredibly talented "adults" in the show.

Of everyone there, I am definitely the least experienced in theater. I've only ever done school-affiliated shows in middle school and high school, but never once have I felt out of place. We're like a big, happy family that eats and laughs and sings together (the eating is very important...especially to certain cast members).

I'm so excited to finally put the show on so everyone can see the amount of work we have done and the tremendous talent of my castmates, but I don't want it to end. I'm excited to finally put on costumes and do our hair and makeup, but I don't want it to end. I know it has to end, just like high school ended and college ended and the school year ends every year (though I'm usually ready for that).

But part of me wouldn't mind if everyone else wanted to just keep rehearsing in the hayloft of my barn.

I'll even bake some blueberry muffins for a snack. What do you think, guys?

Stay gold!

Comments

  1. Can you remind me again of the show dates and times? Please and thank you :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Being Kinda "Knotty"

Who do you think you are?

Questions: Round 1