Last Round of Questions

Way back, many months ago, I asked any and all readers who so chose to submit questions they would like answered on my blog. As everyone knows, not all great ideas are well received, and in response to my query, I received ten questions...all from the same person.

I'm not complaining! They've been fun questions, and now that I've taken this road with my blog, I can continue down the road and move on to a new idea.

But before I do that, I must answer the final three questions!

8. What are your thoughts on panda bears?
I think panda bears are fantastic. They're adorable, and the way they eat bamboo is adorable. I'd just like to hug one, but I feel that might not be the best idea.

9. How can I convince you to travel the world with me so we can improve our foreign accents?
By starting the sentence with:  "I just won the lottery! Would you like to travel the world with me so we can improve our foreign accents?" It would be pretty easy to get me to go along...especially when I need a break from school and corn fields (which, while beautiful in their own way, are just not the Alps or the Mediterranean Sea). In all honesty, the only thing preventing me from being overseas right now is lack of funding...well, and musical rehearsal.

10. When writing a story/book, how much sheer luck/circumstance do you permit before the situation is too unbelievable and ridiculous?
If you aren't writing a story that is meant to be satiric and humorous with the amount of happenstance, then I do think there is a limit. I mean, it would be a little too much if the crime-fighting detective tripped over a dead body, walked two feet and found the murder weapon, and then turned the corner to find the murderer hiding in the bushes. There is a point where it becomes almost comedic, and if that isn't your goal, then you've made a mistake. But it isn't too unbelievable if, say, the orphan on the streets gets taken in by the kind orphanage matron who, after the arrival of her long-lost love, discovers the orphan is actually their child that she gave up for adoption fifteen years ago (this happened in a story I read, and the author did a great job of not making it ridiculous). Sure, the odds aren't great that this would happen in real life, but isn't that part of the reason we read fiction? To get our happy endings and away from the reality of our lives? Plus, depending on the events, it isn't too difficult to chalk it up to whatever higher power your characters embrace, be it a deity (God, Zeus, Odin) or an ability (magic, magnetism, mind reading) or just the universe giving the characters a break.

Again, if anyone wants to weigh in, feel free! And if you've found a question you'd like an answer to, lay it on me! I'm on summer break...I've got time to think about things.

Stay gold!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being Kinda "Knotty"

Who do you think you are?

Questions: Round 1