Let the Race Begin!

Okay, I know I've been unusually bad at this. I mean, I realize that, in general, I make a pretty terrible blogger. Seriously, some of the things I post about? It's a wonder anyone even clicked on this link (and maybe no one did...maybe the only reason I get any views is because I go back to reread and check to see if anyone viewed it).

BUT I have been exceptionally bad at blogging lately. And when I say lately, what I'm really saying is that I haven't posted since September. Yeah, I know. That's ridiculous. It's a good thing I'm not getting paid to do this...

Blogging is just like anything else, I've found. Once you get out of the habit, it's hard to get back into the swing of things. So I finally sat down and thought of something to blog about, I thought, "Why not change everything?" You might notice that the background on the screen behind these words is different. You might not notice that. You might notice that I changed my profile picture. You might not. You might notice that this is the same inane drivel you've thankfully not had to read since September. I really hope you're not.

However, back to the topic at hand. As I said, blogging is an easy habit to lose. Something else it is easy to get out of the habit of doing? Running.


Running and I have never really gotten along. All through school, I was not a fast kid. I was always, like, the second or third from last. I was not usually last, but I definitely was not impressing anyone with any kind of athletic finesse. I hated running the mile in PE. I hated running laps before basketball practice (don't even get me started on stair laps). My brother and sister were both athletic, and it was basically deemed from my childhood that I would not be. Instead of continuing to do something I clearly wasn't good at and therefore couldn't enjoy, I focused on things I was good at:  music and academics. I always thought I would never be one of those people who ran for fun. The entire concept of enjoying running was absurd. What kind of crazy person thought it was fun to run around and get all hot and sweaty and short of breath?

Senior year of college, a friend asked me to sign up and run a 5K with her. I had two weeks to "train." The whole time, I found myself doubting I would even do it. I'd come up with some excuse and not actually run the race. Or I wouldn't be able to finish. Or I'd just walk the last mile or so. 

But here's the crazy thing. I did finish. I ran the whole thing, and to be honest, for me, I had a damn good race time. And somehow, I had fun. Maybe it was crossing the finish line and realizing that I had done it. Maybe it was realizing that I had just ran 3.1 miles and not died. Maybe it was the atmosphere--there were so many people running ahead of me and behind me that I didn't stand out as incredibly fast or slow. People older than me passed me, and I passed people younger than me. I couldn't believe it, but I'd actually had fun.

Fast forward a few years to today. Back in October, I signed up with this same friend to run a half-marathon. I've been both terrified and exhilarated by the prospect of running 13.1 miles. I started training in January and kept working hard until about a week and a half ago when I hit a hiccup. I've been running everywhere I could:  in the gym at school, outside once or twice (though the weather hasn't been good for that), even in place in my house. Anyway, at some point between January and now, I have done something to my knee. I can't bend it without it hurting. I tried running the other day, and at about 1.5 miles, I really started feeling something...and that something wasn't good. I'm trying to focus on how badass I feel for being able to say that I now have a "sports injury," but for the next couple of weeks, I'm going to baby it and then go back into training mode. Which wasn't super hardcore to begin with, but I've only got about two and a half months to go. Yeah, yeah, I know...just remember that I'm new to this whole thing.

Take heart, dear reader! I promise I'm going to finish that half-marathon. And I'm not going to complain about my leg (but my coworkers have to promise not to laugh when they come into my room and see my leg propped up on my desk). I'm just going to run and have fun...and those are words I'd never thought I'd type.

~Stay Gold!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being Kinda "Knotty"

Who do you think you are?

Questions: Round 1