My Extreme Bucket List

I have never been a very daring person. I've always been a play-it-safe kind of girl. I am afraid of heights. I suffer from varying degrees of social anxiety. I feel like I epitomize the description Bilbo gives of himself at the beginning of The Hobbit movie:  I was entirely respectable. And nothing unexpected ever happened. (This is one of many reasons I feel like a hobbit...though I think that will be a later post).

Well, all that changed last summer. June 6, to be exact. That was the day I boarded a perfectly good airplane and jumped out of it. Granted, I had a parachute (and a very attractive man) strapped to my back. But skydiving awakened something in me...some part of me that I had never known existed.

A part that wanted to be extreme.

A part that wanted to do daring things, unexpected things, dangerous things...like:

1. Run a marathon. 
I always hated running in school...probably because I run like I'm pulling a plow. I hated running laps and doing the mile and all of that. I didn't go out for track or anything. But since I got into college, I've done a few 5Ks and have really enjoyed them. I've agreed to run a 10K in April (got to start training for that one), and I think it would be a real interesting challenge to run a marathon (or maybe a half). A fun one, though, like the Disney Princess Half-Marathon or the Lambeau Field Marathon...one where I'd get a cool t-shirt.

2. Hike the Appalachian Trail.
Maybe not all of it...but a significant portion of it. I showed my students a National Geographic video about it last year, and I found the whole idea to be very romantic and exciting. I don't know how far I'd get. I've never done any serious hiking, so it might be a stretch for me. Maybe the summer after my marathon...

3. Hang glide.
My fear of heights is slowly being tamed by doing things up high. Now, I know I will never be able to bungee jump or BASE jump, because I don't like the sensation of falling and then being ripped back up, but hang gliding looks like a lot of fun. Especially over some tropical place.

4. Rock climb.
In my head, I'm thinking about the cliffs in the Southwestern United States...all that red rock and those beautiful views. But I know my upper body strength is basically non-existent. This one would require some crazy training. And a really good guide. And a really big net in case I fall.

5. Swim the English Channel.
Hey, if I'm going to build up my upper body strength to the point where I can climb crazy high mountains, I might as well just go swim the 20 miles from Dover to Calais. 

Part of me thinks I should just take like five years and train for all of this and do it all and get it out of the way. Only problem? I can't exactly practice rock climbing, hang gliding, and salt water swimming in Central Illinois.

Still working out the kinks.

Stay gold!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being Kinda "Knotty"

Who do you think you are?

Questions: Round 1