A Love Letter to October…


“I’m so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers.”

This beautiful line has been quoted quite a lot recently, turned into beautiful artwork with pumpkins and jewel tones. But this line is really just one line—one line of a different love letter to October, penned by writer L.M. Montgomery in Anne of Green Gables. The passage begins thusly:

October was a beautiful month at Green Gables, when the birches in the hollow turned as golden as sunshine and the maples behind the orchard were royal crimson and the wild cherry trees along the lane put on the loveliest shades of dark red and bronzy green, while the fields sunned themselves in aftermaths.

Anne reveled in the world of color about her.

“Oh, Marilla,” she exclaimed one Saturday morning, coming dancing in with her arms full of gorgeous boughs, “I’m so glad I live in a world where there are Octobers. It would be terrible if we just skipped from September to November, wouldn’t it? Look at these maple branches. Don’t they give you a thrill—several thrills? I’m going to decorate my room with them.”

I am inclined to agree with Anne. October is a wonderful month, for more reasons than the beautiful leaves {though that certainly is one reason}.
Clayton is not impressed with the leaves.


I have been told I’m biased, though, simply because of my first reason…

October means my birthday!

I’ve always loved having an October birthday! It felt a little bit like all the Halloween decorating was for me, and nature was changing its colors for me. Like the whole world wanted to celebrate my being another year older. But there were a lot of October birthdays in my family {two cousins and my grandfather}, as well as my grandparents’ anniversary, so there was a lot to celebrate in October. And then I went to college and found myself a roommate/best friend whose birthday is also in October.
If I hadn’t been sure about rooming with her, finding out her birthday sealed the deal.

People born in October are special. And awesome. Just ask anyone {who knows someone born in October…which, mathematically, probably means everyone}.

October means Halloween!

My mom loves Halloween.

No, like LOVES it.
My earliest experiences with Halloween...and with safe table sitting, apparently

Seriously, ask my siblings.

And I believe this love for the holiday has rubbed off on the rest of us. Don’t worry, I already have a post planned about my favorite Halloween movies.

I love decorating for Halloween. I love dressing up for Halloween {though I never have anywhere to go but school anymore…} I love the candy, I love the lore, I love it all!


My mom used to make our costumes when we were little, so enjoy a few of the greatest hits.


October means football!

Okay, so all of fall means “football,” but by October, the swing of the season has gotten underway. There is something called “football weather,” and October usually brings it. And more often than not, the four-day-weekend brought about by Columbus Day and a teacher’s institute meant a trip up to Wisconsin, which inevitably meant a stop in Green Bay.

People ask, and here’s the literal proof:  we were raised right.

October, the unofficial-official start to fall {though that 90 degree weather we had yesterday was SUPER fall-like. Illinois for the win!}

I love you, and I’m so glad you’re here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being Kinda "Knotty"

Who do you think you are?

Questions: Round 1