The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

As most people know by now, the NFL teams have started training camp. I have friends who have visited Packer camp, Bears camp, and Steelers camp, and may I just say that I'm jealous (not of the Bears camp visitors obviously).

Training camp marks the beginning of the NFL season, which means the Most Wonderful Time of the Year has arrived! Because football season means fall is right around the corner, and everybody knows, fall is my favorite season (and if you didn't know before, you know now).

Why am I so excited about fall? As I said, football is a big reason. I am not a sports person per say. I don't do stats, and I can't get into professional basketball or watching baseball on television. I could care less what the other 31 teams in the NFL are doing--all I care about is my team (and whether the Bears lost). When it comes to my team, during the season, I'll be able to give you a few stats, like how many sacks Clay Matthews has or how many touchdowns Rodgers has thrown, but that's about it. Like I said, sports are not really my thing--except for Packer football.

I've been to two games up in Lambeau Field, and I can't wait to attend my next game (already thinking which game would be a good one to see this season...) I love the atmosphere and the camaraderie between fans. There is huge community spirit up in Green Bay, especially on game day. Sure, there are still fans bitter about Brett Favre, but everyone can rally around their mutual love and appreciation for the green and gold.

But there are other reasons I am excited for the end of summer. The weather this past week has been one of the big ones--I love cool, crisp mornings. I'm not a summer person, other than that I love the time off. I don't like heat unless I can sit on a beach or beside a pool. I love that it gets dark early. I love sweatshirt and jeans weather--and of course, boots! Boots and scarves, my two staple fashion choices, are back in full force. I love all the colors of fall--all the golds, oranges, browns, reds. Apple cider and pumpkin in everything!

Being a farm kid, I have to mention harvest. I love when the combines get out (my allergies don't, but I suck it up). I love the smell of harvest, which some people might think is weird, but there is something about it I love. Throw in Thanksgiving--the time to gather with family and friends--and you've hit another of my top 5 reasons for loving fall. The house smells heavenly, people you don't often see gather together to celebrate. And then there's school--I've always loved school (which is good, since the way things look, I'll be in school until I die...). I'm ready to get back into my classroom with a new crop of fourth graders and start exploring! Well, most days I'm ready. Today I'm ready. Tomorrow, maybe I won't be.

And of course, who can forget the best day of the year? October 22, my birthday. The number one reason fall is great. And this year I turn a quarter century--crazy! Makes me start to think about things that I don't want to think about...but that's a post for another day.

I know, this post is coming out of nowhere. I mean, August begins tomorrow, and autumn doesn't even technically start until late September, but that doesn't change the fact that I am ready for it right now! Especially on gross foggy, drizzly days like today--yuck!

So enjoy the rest of your summer, and get ready for autumn--it'll be here soon!

~Stay Gold!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being Kinda "Knotty"

Who do you think you are?

Questions: Round 1