I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas...

Time for another holiday movie review (and it's a good one!)

One of my all-time favorite movies--not just at Christmas. White Christmas starring Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Vera Ellen, and Rosemary Clooney...my goodness! What a cast! What a show!

I can't think of a single bad thing to say about this movie...except maybe that it ends? Oh, and the Choreography song...don't much care for that number.

But this movie tells a holiday story like no other--the holiday idea of helping out those you love using what you can. Bing and Danny play Bob Wallace and Phil Davis, and when the movie opens, we find them in the midst of World War II on Christmas Eve, saying goodbye to their current general. One thing leads to another, and they end up being one of the hottest teams in show business. Then they happen upon the Haynes sisters--Betty, played by Rosemary, and Judy, played by Vera Ellen--and the sparks begin to fly. Falling in love on the dance floor and singing together...isn't that every girl's dream? No? Just mine? Alrighty then...

I got to see this on the big screen this year. My sister and I went to the Normal Theater and waited in a freezing cold line for (thankfully only) about twenty minutes. We got our dollar popcorn and pop, which was our dinner because the restaurant where we chose to eat was so busy they had to box up our food in the kitchen so we could head out the door. And then we sat through the glorious two-hour Technicolor spectacular that is White Christmas. And I only cried uncontrollably at the end...at the place where I always start crying. But it was so much more than that...to sit in that theater, surrounded by a hundred or so people all experiencing this film together...singing along with White Christmas at the end...it was a beautiful thing and made me cry all the harder.
A new sisterly tradition?  I think so.

If you haven't seen this movie, first of all, do you live under a rock? Second of all, watch it. Don't think, don't speak, don't do anything. Just watch it.

And stay gold.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being Kinda "Knotty"

Who do you think you are?

Questions: Round 1