High Maintenance or Low Maintenance?

I may haven mentioned before that I do not care for the movie When Harry Met Sally, but just to reiterate, I don't like it. There's just something about it that I can't stand. But the one thing I did take away from it was the high/low maintenance comment Harry makes to Sally. About how there are two types of women--high maintenance and low maintenance--and that Sally is the worst kind:  she is high maintenance but thinks she's low maintenance. This definition intrigued me, and thus, is the only thing I liked about that movie.

I hate how people constantly make judgements about high and low maintenance. I could have phrased this in the way it was in my head--where I use the stereotype about how guys think girls are high maintenance. But I didn't, so moving on with life. I think it is so funny when people call someone else high maintenance and make it seem negative. Sure, it absolutely can be, but I think being "high maintenance" is just code for knowing what you want and how you want it. We tell kids that if they want to be successful they have to know what they want from life, but then we make it out to be a negative thing if you are too particular about those things. And people make such a big deal about being low maintenance--that it is such a desirable quality in a friend, relationship partner, etc.--but I don't think I know anyone I would characterize as low-maintenance. I'm not sure I know anyone I would consider "high maintenance." I mean, obviously, you have like the Kardashians, who are fairly astronomically high maintenance, but aside from people who are rather wealthy.

I think people like to call themselves low maintenance because it sounds better, but if you really think about it, you're probably not as low maintenance as you seem. And even if you're low maintenance in, say, personal hygiene, you might be high maintenance in another area, like finances.

For example, I don't think I'm super high maintenance. Some might say that I'm low maintenance, but then I think...

     1. I have to put on brand-new socks before I go to bed.
     2. I have to put lotion and lip balm on several times a day.
     3. I cannot stand it when my clothes get wet--if I'm washing dishes, let's say, and my cuff drags in the water, it drives me nuts and I have to either roll up my sleeves or change my shirt. Same thing if I walk in water and my socks get wet. Can't stand it.
     4. I have to rinse the dishes before I actually wash them.
     5. I have to use up all the ink in one pen before I start using another pen.

Some of these actually sound more like I'm crazy than high maintenance. But then maybe that's all high maintenance means--it's just another code phrase for insanity. Who can really say?

Stay gold!

Comments

  1. My definition of high maintenance consists of someone who muat make constant upgrades or changes. I.E.: new handbag, new nails, new car, new car rims, new hats, you get the point. Nothing can ever just "be." One always has to fret about how he or she looks, which would stress out the other party.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Being Kinda "Knotty"

Who do you think you are?

Questions: Round 1