What a Trip!

I'm weird when it comes to vacations. Actually, I'm just weird in general, but you already knew that. I don't vacation like a normal person. I have to be doing something--not every second of every vacation day, but I can't just sit idle on a beach. Of course, I've never taken a vacation like that, so maybe I would enjoy it.

I like to better myself on vacations. Usually, that means learning something. Doing something physical like hiking would be good also. There are a few trips that I would love to take--trips that sound exciting and also educational, especially for a Social Studies teacher. Now, I might be the only person who would ever find any of these exciting. But maybe not...and if anyone would like to accompany me on any of these trips, I'd be delighted to have company.

1. A riverboat trip down the Mississippi
Just like Tom Sawyer...well, except he rode on a raft. This is such a romantic idea--not lovey-dovey romantic but the idea of being connected with people across time and space. Well, that was an interesting way to phrase it, but I hope you know what I mean. And these are not cheap, either, but you can take them.

2. An overnight stay in a lighthouse
Not a haunted lighthouse, but imagine taking your coffee up to the walk and watching the sunrise over the railing...the smell of the sea in the air. Another very romantic idea.

3. A cruise down Route 66.
All the way down--starting in Chicago and ending in Santa Monica. Stopping at every diner and hokey tourist attraction along the way (okay, maybe not every diner...that would be a lot of burgers and fries). Even cooler in a muscle car...not great gas mileage, but more authentic.

4. Retracing the route of the Pony Express 
A lot of these destinations are similar, but I love the history of our Western states. and I love the Pony Express. It would just be fun--though not on horse back. Same with the next one...

5. Retracing the Oregon Trail
And this would be even more fun in a covered wagon...though not necessarily with nineteenth century technology and provisions...at least not entirely. Some nineteenth century things would be delightful.

And so there you have it. Hopefully these happen sometime soon.

Stay gold!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being Kinda "Knotty"

Who do you think you are?

Questions: Round 1