Overly High Expectations?

Sorry, I've been absent for a while. Blame the weather, blame my schedule, blame laziness...any one of the three would be good choices. However, I am excited about this post, which should leave my readers thinking one of two things:  either it's about something completely random, or it's about Tolkien.

If you chose the second, you would be in the subgroup called "correct." Awhile ago, my dear friend send this Pin to me on Pinterest. I love it when someone knows you so well that they see you in random things. Meagan knew I would love this Pin, partly because she has been my best friend for 15.5 years, and in those years, I have dragged her to see both parts of The Hobbit movie, as well as made her sit through countless discussions on the Lord of the Rings movies. And partly because she knew this Pin sums up my singleness:

And the sad part is this is completely true.

So many girls blame Disney movies for why they can't find a guy--the falling in love instantly, the perfect men who both look good and are wonderful people.

But let's be honest, ladies. Disney men can't compete with the males of Middle Earth.

First of all, you have the looks. Based entirely on the movies, the males of Tolkien are ADORABLE! Men, Elves, Dwarves, Hobbits...it doesn't matter. They found some fabulous actors to portray Tolkien's characters.

Then you move on to the characters themselves. The attributes that make them who they are truly make them attractive. Legolas and Gimli moving beyond hundreds of years of prejudice between their races. Aragorn refusing his birthright because he knew claiming his throne would be devastating to Middle Earth. Thorin's blind devotion to his quest. Bilbo's cleverness and selflessness in giving up his comfortable home and life to help someone truly in need. Sam's loyalty to Frodo, following him all the way from home to the fires of Mount Doom. Frodo nearly sacrificing his life to save every soul in Middle Earth. Dwalin, Balin, Fili, Kili, Bifur, Bofur, Bombur, Dori, Nori, Ori, Oin, and Gloin for their loyalty to Thorin, their king. Boromir, who only wanted the Ring to take care of his people. Faramir, who only wanted to be recognized by his father for his contributions to Gondor. Eomer who was exiled because he remained loyal to his king rather than the king possessed by Saruman.

As you might have noticed, the same attributes keep recurring. Loyalty. Selflessness. Sacrifice. Openmindedness (I can't find the word I'm looking for, so I'm going with that). These men (and elves and dwarves and hobbits) were warriors, princes...and just regular folk. They were brave and strong and clever and musically inclined. They were educated and family-oriented and had a sense of humor. And their goal was not to objectify every woman, elf maiden, and dwarf lady they came in contact with.

I have yet to meet a man who is all of those things:  attractive, educated, funny, tall (other than the dwarves and hobbits), loyal to their family and country, caring, selfless. There is more than likely someone out there who has those qualities; I'm sure he'll cross my path at some point.

Stay gold!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being Kinda "Knotty"

Who do you think you are?

Questions: Round 1